🔥 A Mind-Blowing New Gaming Experiences Company
Backbone is a venture-backed start-up transforming the gaming industry with its software and hardware offerings that bring meaningful and engaging gaming experiences to everyone. The company has offices in Portland, Oregon and Osaka, Japan, and the team consists of experts across software, systems, design, hardware, manufacturing, and operations
Backbone is backed by MrBeast, Preston, Typical Gamer, Kwebbelkop, Nadeshot, Night Media, Ludlow Ventures as well as Ashton Kutcher and Guy Oseary's Sound Ventures.
💛 Open Roles
- 🎁 Software Engineer (iOS)
- 🎁 Software Engineer (Android)
- 👑 Software Engineer (Back-End)
- 😍 Product Designer
- 👾 Art Director
- ✨ Contact Us
Read more about our vision here!
We are wholly and inexorably devoted to the craft of designing products that we believe can be era-defining. In our view, this necessitates incredible software as well as complementary hardware. It took 2.5 years to develop our first product—both bits and atoms—to the point where we had the confidence to launch it. We leave no stone unturned (or pixel unscathed!)
👩🏾👦🏽 Diversity and Inclusion
We're committed to having an inclusive team at Backbone. Players, especially those who play games on mobile devices, are extremely diverse. We won’t be able to fulfill our vision if our team looks and thinks the same. We foster a workspace where everyone belongs and is heard from day one.
📍Where We Work
Currently, we are operating remotely. Though it remains unclear what the future of office work will look like, we are flexible. When things reopen, you are welcome (but by no means required) to work out of our main office in Portland, OR (Pacific Northwest ftw!). We are planning on opening other locations in the future.
We won't pretend to know the exact kind of person that should work at Backbone, but these are the main principles.
- Mission Driven — At Backbone, our mission of bringing meaningful and engaging gaming experiences to everyone drives everything. Having a shared sense of that purpose is crucial to doing fulfilling work with us. You don't need to play games to be successful at Backbone (many people at Backbone don't), but learning to empathise with players and customers is a must!
- Real Artists Ship — We don't care about vanity metrics or flashy product concepts. We always build things quietly and, if customers ultimately find them exciting, hopefully the results can speak for themselves. If at first we don't succeed, we get up and try again.
- Authenticity — You bring your authentic self to work everyday.
- Bias Towards Action — When an answer is unknown, your first instinct is to act on uncovering the answer.
- Ownership Mentality — At Backbone, each person gets to own an area of the product and business. You'll be trusted to do great work in the way that you think is best.
- Intellectual Humility — Making products that customers want is really challenging and sinuous process. We have to rapidly recalibrate our views, jettison outdated ones, and hearken closely to player data and player feedback.
🤝 Our Commitment to You
- This is a partnership — You'll be treated as a partner and valued leader in every aspect at the company that you care about. There is no voice that would go unheard.
- Your family comes first — Our work is important but it doesn't come close to the responsibility you have to your loved ones. We will always respect that and embrace your family responsibilities with empathy and encouragement.
- We'll never stop experimenting — We have big goals. In order to achieve them, we need to foster an environment that is constantly learning and trying new things. Backbone is a place that is safe to fail and try again. We promise that energy and spirit will never be lost in what we do.
💻 How We Work
We don't rely too much on meetings. We have a bi-weekly (optional) gaming sessions on Tuesday and Thursdays. We close out the week with an all hands on Friday where we talk about the work week.